Monday, July 27, 2009

A Taste of Wine Country


Most people think of Napa and Sonoma when it comes to wine in California, but there are hundreds of excellent wineries across the state. I recently spent a beautiful evening with wonderful friends at Clos LaChance Winery in San Martin, about an hour and a half south of San Francisco.

The vineyard welcomed us with open arms as we drove through the iron gates. The Old World European-inspired facility sits on top of a hill overlooking the breathtaking wine country landscape.

I don’t know much about wine, but I’m fascinated by the whole wine-making process. It starts out so basic from the earth and ends up so elegantly in a glass.

We never had wine in my house growing up, my family preferred beer. The first time I remember having a glass of red wine with dinner was at my friend Kim’s house when I was 22. I thought it was a bit strong, but I enjoyed it and still do.

Clos LaChance was having a sale that day and the place was filled with wine lovers. Picnic tables were set on the lush green lawn and live music played in the background. The relaxing atmosphere was inviting.
My friends and I sipped wine and ate some tasty snacks as the sun began to set. Not a bad way to spend a Thursday evening in the Bay Area!

1 comment: